Sunday 16 October 2011


 
Poem:  Your Pigeon Dream


As a totem animal –  if that is what this is –  
pigeon is not much:
why choose a dirty, dithering coward of a bird,
toddlers like to chase?


Why not an eagle for mastery,
a cardinal for showiness,
or a robin for diligent worm-hunting?


 And on a motorbike?
that symbol of daring,  irresponsibility and roaring get-away –
where is that in my life right now?




And the trainer who comes and takes away the pigeon 
why is he there?
for how do you train a pigeon?




If this were my dream,
I might think of him
as my pigeon’s guardian:



Keeping watch
over my dirty birdiness
until I park the bike
 and pause to love that despised part –
that part longing to be known –



 Then I would wonder – if this were my dream –
 in what way a such dirty, clumsy, stupid thing
might then hover,
graceful and holy.



Lorna Harris
February 17, 2011















No comments:

Post a Comment