Wednesday 25 January 2012

Doing Jigsaws on April 28


I sit on a dining room chair,

 softened by a plump cushion,

 while I do jigsaw puzzles on the lap top.



I am thus distracted,

but soon I see the world before my eyes

break into pieces:

Grain elevators, farmers’ fields, the house across the street,

the forsythia bush in the garden,

 all fracture away.



I should get outdoors:  

maybe take the dandelions to pieces in the front lawn.

But it does nothing but rain: the grey clouds themselves  are breaking in pieces.

The sky falls onto the pavement and drains away.



Still I can choose how big my  fractures are:


Cut in two? That would be you and me,

but we are severed irretrievably,

thereby giving the lie to that simplicity.



Maybe 20?  When – too young to be anything but stupid – we took

different forks on the same road and thought we could join up later.



Or why not 176? Yes, much more challenging:  

your timelessness

broken into the days I have lived

since you ceased to be.


And I think how odd it is … life smashed into death just like that…



But unlike that puzzle, which defies remaking,

 Any jigsaw on the computer will do.

For I am slow, patient and persistent

The fragments will  jump together  eventually.

The picture will reform.



But, except in my dreams, you and I don’t jump together.

When I awaken, you are gone, and

I am fat with grief and broken in pieces.



L. Harris May 2, 2011


1 comment:

  1. Again, the strength of your poems amazes me. My compliments and admiration.

    ReplyDelete