Saturday 28 July 2012

Out another door — a meditation on a dream


My body left the hospital for a coffin and a grave.

You crossed the threshold back to life

and left by another door.



You carried a vase for flowers

opalescent blue and elegant,

empty save for a little water.



It puzzled you there were no flowers,

but consider what is in that vase:

My tears are there.



You bear my tears.

They are for you.



I was afraid of too much happiness,

but you were my container in life.

You held my sorrows.



Now you are carrying the tears I shed

while I was dying,  missing you:

Not a nice miss, not this one.



And now, what should you do

in this parking lot on the bare pavement

outside the institutional doors?



Just add your tears to mine.

Let us weep together the many colours of love and loss:

The blue, pink, white and yellow,

a play of colours,

waiting for roses.



And when the tears dry,

go to my grave,

gather my dust,

and treasure it.


Lorna Harris July 27, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment