Saturday 23 July 2011

The hog days of summer

A very odd sight on the way to Grand Bend this morning: a waste container not 20 feet from the road overflowing with carcasses of  very large pigs. I phoned the OPP and had a frustrating time explaining this to the person on the other end of the line. Yes, they are pigs ... yes, they are dead!  I began to feel as if I was in a rural version of the Monty Python dead parrot skit. Finally, she said the police would investigate.

Later, I  looked up the regulations on the removal of dead stock in Ontario. Yes, this means of disposal is illegal!!

I will ask at church tomorow if anyone knows anything more! Parishioners who live north of Parkhill use this road to get to church, and they know of all things agricultural.

Greg, who suggested the bad pun in the title of this post, doubted what he was seeing, but I saw them too. It was quite off-putting - like things coming out of a jack-in-the-box, and they were still there when we returned after breakfast.

After phoning the bemused constabulary, I made sure I had the correct location using an address on a mailbox and Google maps. Sure enough, in street view, there is the container in the field captured in a drive-by photo earlier this year. It is empty in the photo, but not now!!

More later if I find out the answer to this. I'm sure my many followers are waiting with bated breath. I am now off to a beef  BBQ at the Legion. Thank goodness, it is not a pork roast or I would prefer to stay home!

No comments:

Post a Comment